Join us for our first "Celebrate the New Ewe" knitting retreat!
Knit in 2023 with three days of yarn, laughs, good food, and maybe some fireworks, all to ring in the new year.
December 29, 2022 - January 1, 2023
CELEBRATE THE NEW EWE!
The newly renovated Big Lynn Lodge is located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in the village of Little Switzerland, North Carolina. Its twenty minutes from Interstate 40, forty five minutes from Interstate 26, and one hour from Interstate 77.
The Big Lynn Lodge website Google Maps
ABOUT LITTLE SWITZERLAND
Little Switzerland embodies what western North Carolina is all about. Sweeping mountain fews, abundant foliage, pleasant temperatures, numerous natural attractions, plus the Blue Ridge Parkway!
Little Switzerland, began as a summer resort in 1910, was named because of its sweeping panoramas of deep valleys and distant ranges resembling those of the foothills of the Swiss Alps. Ride along Highway 226A along the 3,500-ft. ridge to see some of these vistas.
- Room rates are double occupancy. Its the discretion of the retreater whether to share a room. $145 / night (subject to change).
- Becky assigns rooms but retreaters must contact the Big Lynn Lodge to provide personal information and any special dietary requests. Phone 828-765-4257.
- The Big Lynn Lodge charges a one-night deposit 30 days in advance of the retreat.
- All meals are included. The Big Lynn Lodge will collect $22.50 (subject to change) at check-in for lunches.
- A limited number of pets rooms are available. Make sure you have a pet room assigned before bringing your furry friend.
- Free WIFI.
- $70 non-refundable retreat fee paid in advance by check or PayPal to Becky.
- EMAIL Becky (www.carolinafiberretreats.com/contact) to sign-up for this retreat.
Information about workshops coming soon.
Information about vendors coming soon.
- NC Museum of Minerals
- Linville Caverns
- Grassy Creek Golf Course
- Linville Gorge
- Penland School of Crafts
- Linn Cove Viaduct
- Grandfather Mountain
- Buck Creek Trout Farm
- The Orchard at Altapass
- Gem Mountain Gemstone Mine
- Mount Mitchell State Park
- Crabtree Falls
Many of you are longing to get together in a light-hearted and nurturing retreat setting and to share in the kind and joyful company of others. There is a readiness to dive deep into a knitting retreat to soothe the hard hits taken these last months, emotionally and mentally. You are ready to get away, experience a change of scenery, and to reset and remember what it is to be carefree.
What you can expect with our retreats through 2022:
- We are regularly reviewing the travel situation for each retreat and will keep you informed.
- Our partner hotel, The Big Lynn Lodge, has implemented COVID-19 protocols and have put procedures in place to minimize physical contact between guests, staff, and other individuals.
- The Big Lynn Lodge washes all linens in the highest temperature water available with either a bleach cleaning solution, or an EPA/CDC recommended sanitizing solution.
- The Big Lynn Lodge has adopted cleaning procedures to ensure all areas of the property are disinfected & sanitized. Special attention is given to frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, railings, switches, appliances, remote control units, etc.
- We expect to have more outdoor retreat events particularly classes.
- You will have options to have meals outside or to take them in your room.
- There will be health-safety protocols in place to create a safe environment, as possible.
- Anyone who knowingly has been exposed to COVID-19 or lived with someone who has had COVID-19 during the 14 days prior to the start date of a retreat may not attend the retreat.
- Anyone who has entered the U.S. after travel abroad within 14 days of the start date of a retreat may not attend the retreat.
- Wear a mask at all times.
- Observe the CDC's social distancing recommendations.
- What is check-in time? - Most retreaters arrive between 2 - 3 pm.
- What should I bring to my room? - Remember that parts of the lodge are now over 100 years old so you may want to bring some Fabreeze but all rooms are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. Bring an extra blanket, just in case you want to take a nap. If you bring your own pillows or linens, avoid whites as they'll get confused with what belongs to the lodge. Hairdryers are not included.
- What to wear? Bring warm clothes and warm sweaters to wear (and show off). Remember you'll be on top of a mountain and it can be cool.
- Although snow and freezing temps are possible, treacherous winter weather in Little Switzerland this time of the year is rare. In the event of bad weather the National Park Service will close sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway but other highways like US Highways 19, 70, 221 and the Interstates will be open.
- What meals are included? ALL meals are included - breakfast. lunch, and dinner.
- Breakfast includes waffles, pancakes, toast, cooked to order eggs, and grits - order as much as you like. Each dining room place setting includes a paper placemat with detailed menu selections.
- Lunch is usually soup and sandwiches.
- Dinner is one course (meat, salad, homemade bread, vegetables, dessert).
- Beer and wine are available but not included in the room price. You can also BYOB.
- Is coffee available for retreaters? Regular and decaf coffee is ready in the lobby between 5:30 and 6 each morning and available all day. Hot water is available all day for tea and hot chocolate.
- Do you have a snack table? One of our traditions is the snack table. Because of COVID, let's not have anything that has to be handled. If you bring goodies to share, PLEASE INDIVIDUALLY WRAP everything. Thank you to all who contribute - it's always appreciated.
- Should I bring a lawn chair? Yes! Bring a folding or lawn chair and mark it with a ribbon to identify it.
- Due to Covid more activities will be outside.
- Will the retreat have a "Give & Take Table"? This was very popular at previous retreats. If you have things that need a new home - , needles, yarn, project bags, patterns, old knitting books or magazines - we'll have a table for you to put them on and feel free to take what you will use. Retreaters tend to put things on the table all through the retreat.
- When is "Show and Tell"? Check later to learn more about our "Show and Tell" plans.
- Every year we see the most amazing projects you have knit or crocheted. Two item limit.
- What time is check out? - Check out is 11:00 Sunday morning. But there's no rush - enjoy the time between breakfast and 11 to fellowship and knit!
- What amenities are in my room? - each room at the Big Lynn Lodge includes private bath, bath linens, flat screen TV, free WIFI, mini fridge, ceiling fan, air conditioning, and heat. Hair dryers are not available.
- Who do I contact if I need anything for the retreat? See or text (864-216-1408) Becky or Mike).
- Who do I contact if I have questions about my room or reservation? Hoyt, the lodge owner, and his staff are very welcoming and hospitable and always look forward to our retreats. Don't hesitate to ask for assistance.